Road closures

How to apply for a temporary road closure for an event on the highway.

If you are intending to host an event on the highway you must seek permission for a temporary road closure from the appropriate authority.

As event organiser you will be required to provide appropriate traffic management, signs, barriers and diversion routes to support the road closure. The police will not undertake this function or provide staff to facilitate the traffic management plan.

Application procedure

Depending on the type of event you are planning, you must apply to either Lancaster City Council or Lancashire County Council.

Street parties, processions and carnivals

Apply to: Lancaster City Council for a road closure order under Section 21 Town Police Clauses Act 1847.
Application procedure: Complete and return a road closure application form (DOC, 248KB)

Major sporting events, cycle races, triathlons

Apply to: Lancashire County Council for a road closure order under Regulation 16A Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
Application procedure: Contact or call 0300 123 6780.

If you are in doubt about whether you need a road closure order, and who you need to apply to, please contact Legal Services on 01524 582309.

Last updated: 10 April 2018