Information about markets and market stalls in Lancaster and Morecambe, including availability, stall and shop unit prices, and how to apply for a stall or pitch.
Current market stall availability
- Festival Market: Stalls currently available for various commodities (see below).
- Charter Market: Stalls currently available.
- Assembly Rooms Emporium: Stalls currently available.
SMALL BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY OF THE MONTH
Festival Market (covered market in Morecambe)
- Open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm (summer) , 9am - 4.30pm (winter)
- 15 lock-up shop units with a trading area of 13.37 square metres (144 square feet)
- More than 100 stalls each with a trading area of 9.29 square metres (100 square feet)
- Half stalls are also available for casual traders
- Additional footfall generated by festivals and events which take place close by throughout the summer in Morecambe and all year round at the market.
- Security available to enable stallholders to leave goods in market whilst building is closed.
- Regular visits from coach groups as well as regular visitors to the market.
Discounted rates for general traders at the Festival Market
Traders who bring a new commodity to the Festival Market and apply for a regular stall between September and the end of May 2017 will be able to get off to a flying start with a discounted rent of £50 per month for the first three months of trading.
Vintage Corner at the Festival Market
Although Vintage Corner is currently full, if there is enough interest from new stallholders trading in all things vintage, then we can expand the area to cater for demand. The rent will be £25 per month for the free first months, increasing to £50 thereafter. Please get in touch to register interest in taking up space in this area.
- Festival Market trader rules (PDF, 277KB)
- Vacant Commodities (PDF, 79KB)
- Trader welcome pack and useful information (PDF, 798KB)
- Rent Levels 2017-2018 (PDF, 263KB)
- Stall Plan (PDF, 123KB)
Half stalls are available for free to local charities who wish to raise awareness of what they do and attract supporters.
For those who wish to raise money via the sale of goods are charged a small rental fee of £5 for the day. Half stalls – (measuring 2’6 x 9’6) must be booked well in advance and proof of public liability insurance cover provided. A street collection licence is required if money collection (without selling of goods) is to take place. Contact the Market Team or customer services on 01524 582000 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a booking form.
Charter Market (outdoor market in Lancaster)
- Great city centre location close to two main shopping centres and a wealth of historic and cultural visitor attractions.
- Operates every Wednesday and Saturday and enjoys a healthy footfall of regular customers and those visiting the city to enjoy a day of shopping and sightseeing.
- Hours of trading Wednesday and Saturday - 9am - 4.30pm (4pm in winter) except Bank Holidays.
If you’d prefer to trade in a bustling outdoor environment every Wednesday and Saturday in the heart of Lancaster City Centre, then the historic Charter Market might be the answer.
Rent: Normally starts from £16.80 per day, subject to stall size.
- Charter Market Street Plan (PDF, 25KB)
- Charter Market trader rules (PDF, 266KB)
- Trader Welcome Pack (PDF, 1MB)
Free pitches to rent for Wednesday trading on Lancaster's historic Charter Market
Free pitches are available for Wednesday trading on Lancaster’s popular street market (maximum of four free Wednesdays per trader).
*Offer only applies to new traders introducing something different to the market.
Assembly Rooms Emporium (indoor market in Lancaster)
- Located on the ground floor of one of Lancaster Grade II listed heritage buildings
- Just a stone's throw from the city's two main shopping centres and numerous cultural and historical attractions including the City Museum and Lancaster Castle
- Offers the perfect opportunity for small or start up businesses of the arts and crafts industry to showcase and sell their creations on the high street.
- Small pitches in the main trading hall start from just £25 per week!
Stalls: Space to let for the following commodities: antiques, collectables and curiosities, vintage and alternative goods, arts and crafts. Please contact us for further information.
Rent: Starts from £25 per week, subject to stall size. Casual stalls are also available - £7.50 per day (Tuesday - Friday) and £10.00 Saturday.
- Vacant Stalls and Rental (PDF, 191KB)
- Trader Welcome Pack (PDF, 892KB)
- Assembly Rooms trader rules (PDF, 261KB)
To register an interest in taking up a stall at any of the above markets, complete the online form at www.lancaster.gov.uk/traderinterest or email email@example.com and a member of the markets team will be in touch.
The form will ask you where you would prefer to trade and type of goods you wish to sell.
To be eligible for any of the offers, new traders must be bringing something new to the markets.
Last updated: 24 April 2017