Information about markets and market stalls in Lancaster and Morecambe, including availability, stall and shop unit prices, and how to apply for a stall or pitch.
Current market stall availability
- Festival Market: Stalls currently available for various commodities (see below).
- Charter Market: Stalls currently available.
- Assembly Rooms Emporium: Stalls currently available.
Festival Market (covered market in Morecambe)
- Open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm (summer) , 9am - 4.30pm (winter)
- 15 lock-up shop units with a trading area of 13.37 square metres (144 square feet)
- More than 100 stalls each with a trading area of 9.29 square metres (100 square feet)
- Half stalls are also available for casual traders
- Additional footfall generated by festivals and events which take place close by throughout the summer in Morecambe and all year round at the market.
- Security available to enable stallholders to leave goods in market whilst building is closed.
- Regular visits from coach groups as well as regular visitors to the market.
- Festival Market trader rules (PDF, 277KB)
- Vacant Commodities (PDF, 79KB)
- Trader Welcome Pack (PDF, 798KB)
- Rent Levels 2017-2018 (PDF, 263KB)
- Stall Plan (PDF, 123KB)
Discounted rates and free trading opportunities for new traders
New traders who take vacant stalls or shops to sell a commodity or provide a service not already available at the market are eligible for the special rate of just £100 per month for a stall for the first three months. This must be followed by at least three months of trading at the regular rate.
Half stalls are available for free to local charities who wish to raise awareness of what they do and attract supporters.
For those who wish to raise money via the sale of goods are charged a small rental fee of £5 for the day. Half stalls – (measuring 2’6 x 9’6) must be booked well in advance and proof of public liability insurance cover provided. A street collection licence is required if money collection (without selling of goods) is to take place. Contact the Market Team or customer services on 01524 582000 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a booking form.
Charter Market (outdoor market in Lancaster)
- Great city centre location close to two main shopping centres and a wealth of historic and cultural visitor attractions.
- Operates every Wednesday and Saturday and enjoys a healthy footfall of regular customers and those visiting the city to enjoy a day of shopping and sightseeing.
- Hours of trading Wednesday and Saturday - 9am - 4.30pm (4pm in winter) except Bank Holidays.
If you’d prefer to trade in a bustling outdoor environment every Wednesday and Saturday in the heart of Lancaster City Centre, then the historic Charter Market might be the answer.
Rent: Normally starts from £16.80 per day, subject to stall size.
- Charter Market Street Plan (PDF, 25KB)
- Charter Market trader rules (PDF, 266KB)
- Trader Welcome Pack (PDF, 1MB)
Free pitches to rent for Wednesday and Saturday trading
New traders are being invited to apply for a free pitch at the market on Wednesdays and Saturdays on Lancaster’s popular street market (maximum of four weeks trading on either Wednesdays or Saturdays per trader).
*Offer only applies to new traders introducing something different to the market and with commodities other than food.
Assembly Rooms Emporium (indoor market in Lancaster)
- Located on the ground floor of one of Lancaster Grade II listed heritage buildings
- Just a stone's throw from the city's two main shopping centres and numerous cultural and historical attractions including the City Museum and Lancaster Castle
- Offers the perfect opportunity for small or start up businesses of the arts and crafts industry to showcase and sell their creations on the high street.
- Small pitches in the main trading hall start from just £25 per week!
Stalls: Space to let for the following commodities: antiques, collectables and curiosities, vintage and alternative goods, arts and crafts. Please contact us for further information.
Rent: Starts from £25 per week, subject to stall size. Casual stalls are also available - £7.50 per day (Tuesday - Friday) and £10.00 Saturday.
- Vacant Stalls and Rental (PDF, 191KB)
- Trader Welcome Pack (PDF, 892KB)
- Assembly Rooms trader rules (PDF, 261KB)
Free studio space/pitch available for first month of trading
New traders are being invited to introduce a new commodity at the Assembly Rooms Emporium with the offer of free space. The Assembly Rooms Emporium provides the perfect backdrop for arts and crafters to make, showcase and sell their creations. The offer of one month's free trading must be followed by a further one month trading commitment thereafter at the regular rate.
To register an interest in taking up a stall at any of the above markets, complete the online form at www.lancaster.gov.uk/traderinterest or email email@example.com and a member of the markets team will be in touch.
Please note the above form is not an application form. It will just give us an idea of where you would prefer to trade and the type of goods you wish to sell.
A member of the markets team will then be in touch with further information about trading on our markets and the relevant application form for you to complete (if appropriate).
To be eligible for any of the offers, new traders must be bringing something new to the markets.
Last updated: 23 May 2017