> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

You are here: Home > HousingHousing > Council Housing > Homeseekers > Swapping your council home

Swapping your council home

Hareruns House in LancasterFor many tenants the quickest way to move is to swap with another council or registered provider of social housing (also known as housing associations) tenant. This is called a mutual exchange.

If you are a secure tenant you can swap your home with other Lancaster City Council tenants and tenants of other councils or registered social landlords. You can not swap your home with tenants in the private rented sector.

If you are an introductory tenant you will need to get the permission of the neighbourhood housing manager before a swap can go ahead.

You will need to find someone to swap your home with. One way of doing this is by placing an advert through the Ideal Choice Homes website. By doing this your property will be advertised on-line, and also in the mutual exchange newsletter at our housing office in Cable Street in Lancaster. Interested applicants can then express an interest in exchanging with you.

Apply for a housing swap online

To complete an online mutual exchange application, or to view current properties advertised for mutual exchange, see the Ideal Choice Homes website.





01524 582005

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.

Feb 2016








1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Lancaster City Council
Town Hall
Dalton Square

Telephone: 01524 582 000

Email customer services