Lancaster City Council values the contribution made by buskers and street performers in helping to create a vibrant and enjoyable city centre. However, inconsiderate busking can cause disturbance to businesses who may find it difficult to serve customers or use telephones due to loud noise.
If you would like to stay informed with any news and information relating to busking and street performance, please sign up to our mailing list.
You only need to provide an email address - any other information is optional.
Guidelines for buskers and street performers
Please abide by the following guidelines when busking in Lancaster city centre:
- Keep noise levels to an acceptable level so as not to cause a nuisance to the surrounding premises. As a rough guide, if you can be heard 30m away, you are too loud!
- Perform for a maximum of one hour in any one area, with no return within two hours.
- Play acoustically if possible. You are far more likely to cause disturbance if you use amplifiers or backing tracks.
- No more than three performers should perform at a time.
- Keep away from cash machines, fire exits and phone booths.
- No selling of any products is permitted.
- No busking is allowed within 20m of Horseshoe Corner (please see the map in the downloads section).
The guidelines will be enforced if complaints are received by the police or Lancaster City Council.
Performers who repeatedly breach these guidelines will not be permitted to perform in the Lancaster City Council area.
Last updated: 11 March 2016