We have produced a bereavement guide to help those facing the loss of a loved one. This is a step-by-step guide from registering a death, to burial. Please contact the Cemeteries Office if you would like to receive a copy of this guide.
Tell Us Once
When someone dies, it can be a stressful and upsetting time. As well as coping with the emotional distress that a death may bring, you will need to notify a number of different government departments and organisations.
The Tell Us Once service helps to reduce the amount of time you need to spend contacting government departments and organisations, and prevents unwanted contact regarding the deceased.
- Telephone the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308
- Website: www.gov.uk/after-a-death
- In person: Customer Services at Lancaster and Morecambe Town Halls
The Bereavement Register
The Bereavement Register is a free service that helps stop post sent to people who have died, reducing the levels of distress caused to their relatives and friends.
As well as enabling companies to cross reference lists and stop mailing deceased individuals, The Bereavement Register can also place flags on internal records to reduce the chances of criminals being able to open accounts or order goods in the deceased person's name.
- Telephone The Bereavement Register on 0800 082 1230
- By post: FREEPOST RTEU-JSHJ-LCTZ, 1 Newhams Row, London, SE1 3UZ
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.thebereavementregister.org.uk
Baby Mail Preference Service (MPS)
Baby MPS is a free service which allows parents who have suffered a miscarriage or bereavement of a baby in the first weeks of life to register their wish not to receive baby related mailings.
- Baby Mailing Preference Service (BMPS), DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS
- Telephone: 020 7291 3310
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.mpsonline.org.uk/bmpsr
Child Bereavement UK
Child Bereavement UK, founded in 1994, offers support to families when a child dies, or when a child is bereaved of someone important in their lives.
It offers a confidential listening service for families who would like to talk about their experiences, and provide a signposting service to other organisations who may be able to offer further support.
- Child Bereavement UK, Clare Charity Centre, Wycombe Road, Saunderton, Buckinghamshire, HP14 4BF
- Telephone: 01494 568900
Last updated: 03 May 2017