Our cemeteries

Cemetery locations

Carnforth Cemetery

Carnforth Cemetery opened in 1925 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is approximately 3 acres containing areas for Church of England, Non Conformist and Roman Catholic burials. There is also a Garden of Remembrance section.

Location of cemetery: Carnforth Cemetery, Kellet Road, Carnforth, Lancashire, LA5 9XJ


Hale Carr Cemetery

Hale Carr Cemetery opened in 1926 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is approximately 6 acres containing areas for Church of England, Non Conformist and Roman Catholic burials.

This cemetery also has a woodland section, a Garden of Remembrance and has one chapel available for worship. The chapel is non-denominational and is available to all religions and beliefs.

Location of Cemetery: Hale Carr Cemetery, Hale Carr Lane, Morecambe, LA3 2AE


Lancaster Cemetery

Lancaster Cemetery opened in 1855 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is approximately 18 acres containing areas for Church of England, Non Conformist and Roman Catholic burials.

This cemetery is now closed for new grave spaces.

Location of cemetery: Lancaster Cemetery, Quernmore Road, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1 3JT


Morecambe Cemetery

Morecambe Cemetery was opened in 1874 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is approximately two acres containing areas for Church of England and Nonconformist burials.

Friends group

Friends of Poulton Cemeteries was formed in November 2009 to assist in improvements to both Morecambe Cemetery and Morecambe Parish Churchyard (not managed by Lancaster City Council). Contact Rita Gerrard on 01524 426911.

Location of cemetery: Morecambe Cemetery, Church Lane, Morecambe, LA4 5TG


Scotforth Cemetery

Scotforth Cemetery opened in 1891 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is approximately 11 acres containing areas for Church of England, Non-Conformist and Roman Catholic burials. This cemetery also has a section available for Muslim burials and a section for Polish burials, however these are based on preference and not a restriction set by the cemeteries office.

There is also a Garden of Remembrance, and one chapel available for worship. The chapel is non-denominational and is available to all religions and beliefs.

Location of cemetery: Scotforth Cemetery, Ashford Road, Lancaster, LA1 5AD


Skerton Cemetery

Skerton Cemetery opened in 1904 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is approximately six acres, containing areas for Church of England, Non Conformist and Roman Catholic burials, and a Garden of Remembrance.

This cemetery also has a chapel available for worship, which is non-denominational and is available to all religions and beliefs.

Location of cemetery: Skerton Cemetery, Halton Road, Lancaster, LA1 2EG


Torrisholme Cemetery

Torrisholme Cemetery opened in 1906 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.

The total area of the cemetery is 14½ acres, containing areas for Church of England, Non-Conformist and Roman Catholic burials. There is one chapel available for worship. 

The chapel is non-denominational and is available to all religions, sects and beliefs. 

The cemetery also features the Neptune Baby and Young Child Memorial Garden, Gardens of Remembrance and a Woodland Burial area.

Location of cemetery: Torrisholme Cemetery, Westgate, Morecambe, LA3 3LN

An area was established to commemorate the 1939 - 1945 World War II casualties by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 20 Casualties from the 1914 – 1918 World War 1 are buried in separate locations within the cemetery.

On plot K, there are 30 burials in graves purchased in 1951 by the Trustees of the Cinematograph Trade Benevolent Fund. 

Friends group

A Friends of Torrisholme Group has been established for this cemetery. For further details please contact Bill Jackson on 01524 417035 or friends_torrisholme_cemetery@yahoo.com

Torrisholme cemetery woodland section

This area was created in 1996. Species introduced include:

The English Daffodil -  1200 native English daffodils gifted by the Friends Group. The daffodil is a symbol of rebirth - a sign of the new beginnings that come with Spring.

Conservation Hedge Mix - The perimeter of the compound has been planted with a conservation hedge mix consisting of 50% Quickthorn, and 10% each of Cherry Plum, Crab Apple, Field Maple, Common Hazel and Dog Rose. This mix will provide early pollen for bees, spring and summer flowers, autumn fruits and harbourage for a range of birds, mammals and insects.

Bird Boxes and Hedgehog Hotels - The Friends Group have organised the construction of different types of bird boxes to be used as winter roosts and nesting. “Hedgehog Hotels” have been provided using pre-built structures as well as using piles of brushwood and leaf litter.


See also

Last updated: 13 October 2016