Online and telephone payments will be unavailable from 1pm Monday 20 November to 12pm Tuesday 21 November due to an essential system upgrade.
Air pollution is an environmental concern for many communities in the UK. We monitor, assesses and coordinate control over local air pollution. Our activities include:
- Coordinating action in Lancaster, Carnforth and Galgate air quality management areas
- Carrying out district-wide review and assessment of air quality
- Measuring and monitoring air pollution levels
- Maintaining Smoke Control Areas (where only smokeless fuels may be burned)
- Investigating air pollution complaints about:
- garden bonfires
- dark smoke and potentially toxic fumes from burning of unsuitable materials
- nuisance dusts – building sites, mineral works, etc.
- nuisance odours – eg farming and industrial smells
- smoky diesel vehicles – supporting the Vehicle Licensing Inspectorate’s work
- Inspecting industrial sources of air pollution that are prescribed for ‘permitting’ controls
- Advising the local planning authority on the air quality impacts of new proposals and appropriate controls/mitigation
- Consultation on Lancaster Air Quality Management Area amendment (PDF, 945KB)