Food hygiene ratings
An example of a Very Good and an Urgent Improvement information poster
Information about the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, run in partnership with the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
This is a national scheme run in partnership with the Food Standards Agency (FSA). The scheme provides consumers with information about hygiene standards in food premises at the time they are inspected by local authority food safety officers to check compliance with legal requirements – the food hygiene rating given reflects the inspection findings. The objectives are as follows:
• The scheme is a good advertisement for businesses that comply with food hygiene law - good food hygiene rating is good for business.
• It's a legal requirement for businesses to meet hygiene regulations.
• Having the six different ratings gives businesses room to improve.
• The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme enables you to make an informed choice about where you choose to eat out or shop for food, as it gives you an idea of what's going on in the kitchen, or behind closed doors.
• You can view the rating of the place where you choose to eat or shop by checking the sticker in the window, or view online at www.food.gov.uk/ratings.
How are the ratings worked out?
After a premises has been inspected an overall number rating, from zero (the worst) to five (the best) is awarded, based on food standards found at the time of inspection in the following three areas:-
• Compliance with food hygiene and safety procedures.
• Compliance with structural requirements.
• Confidence in management control/procedures.
The rating does not reflect the quality of food or the standard of service provided to customers.
Safeguards for food businesses
In order to ensure that the scheme is fair to businesses, it has been designed to include a number of safeguards. These are: an appeal procedure; a ‘right to reply’, and an opportunity to request a re-visit when improvements have been made in order to be reassessed for a new rating. Information for food businesses about these different safeguards is provided in the various documents within the download list below.
To submit electronically, please choose from the list of forms below :
To submit by hand, please use the list of forms below where you will find printer friendly versions of the forms: