> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

Food complaints

We investigate complaints made about food purchases and food premises. We do not investigate all complaints (some are dealt with by Trading Standards). The outcome and length of time it takes to investigate a complaint will depend on the circumstances. In any event we will keep you informed of any information we receive and action taken if appropriate. If any legal action is taken then this may involve you giving a witness statement and giving evidence in court.

Complaints about hygiene in food premises

If you have consumed food or drink at premises in our district and experienced poor food hygiene practices, then we can investigate the matter on your behalf. We can investigate issues of concern that may present serious food safety hazards.

Complaints about food purchases

If you have purchased a food item and consider it to be unsafe, then we will need to see the food to establish whether there is a problem that we can investigate.

We can deal with:

  • Food which has caused food poisoning or has become contaminated.
  • Food containing foreign bodies e.g. glass, metal, wood, insect’s etc.
  • Mouldy food.
  • Food that has expired its ‘use-by’ date.

We can’t deal with:

  • Food purchased outside the district. We will arrange for the food complaint to be transferred to the relevant enforcing authority.
  • Complaints about food quality e.g. over ripe vegetables and fruits.
  • False descriptions or inappropriate labelling of food and drink. These are dealt with by Lancashire County Council’s Trading Standards Team.
  • Any claims for compensation or refunds. This is a matter between the purchaser and the manufacturer.
  • Food which has expired it’s ‘Best Before’ date. It is not illegal to sell food after it’s best before date. Best before means that the manufacturer guarantees that the food will be of best quality up until that date.

On discovering a problem with food or drink

  • Keep possession of the food.
  • Contact us as soon as possible on 01524 582935.
  • Keep any receipts, labels and packaging materials.
  • Try to preserve the food or drink in its original condition.
  • Store perishable foods in the chiller or freezer until it is collected by us or until you bring it into Morecambe Town Hall. If you are complaining about mould then place the food in the freezer, particularly if it is a weekend day.

Make a food complaint





01524 582936

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.

Nov 2015








2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Lancaster City Council
Town Hall
Dalton Square

Telephone: 01524 582 000

Email customer services