Repairs and maintenance services explained

To report a repair please call 01524 582929.

Alternatively, you can report your repair online or by visiting our customer services desk at Lancaster Town Hall. We make appointments for all repairs that require access into your property.

If you need to report an emergency repair when the office is closed you should ring the Emergency Call Centre on 01524 67099 (Please note calls are recorded for monitoring and training purposes)

If you need to report a repair to your gas fire, gas boiler or gas powered central heating, then you should ring EMCOR on 0800 111 4521 which is free if you ring from a landline. You can also contact EMCOR by ringing 01744 833398.

How quickly will the repair get done?

If it is an emergency we aim to carry out the work within 24 hours or immediately where there is a danger to life or limb or serious damage to the property. We aim to carry out repairs that are not emergencies but which require urgent attention within five working days. Other repairs should be carried out within 6 weeks.

What is the Right to Repair?

In law, the council has to carry out some repairs within a certain time after you have told us what needs to be done. These are called qualifying repairs. If we fail to meet our obligations then you have a right to arrange your own repairs but a set procedure must be followed.

To find out more about the Right to Repair please read the A Better Deal for Tenants: Your Right To Repair leaflet (PDF, 115KB). If you require a paper copy of this, you can request a printed copy from the Customer Services Desk at Lancaster Town Hall.

What repairs are the council responsible for?

We will repair and maintain:

  • The structure and exterior of the building - roofs, walls, floors, ceilings, window frames, external doors, gutters and outside pipes
  • Kitchen and bathroom fixtures - basins, sinks, toilets, baths
  • Electrical wiring and gas and water pipes
  • Heating equipment and water heating equipment
  • Communal areas around your home - stairs, lifts, landings, lighting, entrance halls, paving, open spaces, parking areas and rubbish chutes.

What repairs are you responsible for?

You must do small repairs like unblocking sinks or replacing tap washers or internal door handles. We will do many of these jobs for you if you are elderly or disabled.

Rechargeable repairs

If the council would normally be responsible for a repair, but work is needed because there has been neglect or damage caused by you, your family or your visitors, then you will have to pay for the repair. This is called a rechargeable repair.


Last updated: 06 May 2016