> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

Houses in multiple occupation

What is a HMO?

A property is an HMO if it is let as a main or only home to at least three tenants, who form more than one household and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.

A household consists of either a single person or members of the same family who live together, including:

  • People who are married or living together
  • People in same-sex relationships
  • Relatives who are living together - including step-children, grandchildren, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins and foster children
  • Certain live-in domestic staff such as au pairs, nannies, nurses or other carers, gardeners, chauffeurs, servants (if certain conditions are met)

If you are a tenant in shared accommodation, you may live in an HMO. These properties can be an entire house, flat or converted building or any of the following:

  • Bedsits
  • Shared houses
  • Households with a lodger
  • Purpose-built HMOs
  • Hostels
  • Guesthouses - if rented out of season
  • Bed and breakfasts providing accommodation for homeless people
  • Some types of self-contained flats converted from houses

Does an HMO need a licence?

An HMO must have a licence if it is:

  • Of three or more storeys
  • Occupied by five or more persons who form more than one household





01524 582257

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.