> | Accessibility: Graphical | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

You are here: Home > Housing > Private Housing > Homelessness


Are you homeless or threatened with homelessness? If you are, and you meet the council's criteria for homelessness, we have a duty to find suitable accommodation for you.

The information below will help you decide whether you meet the criteria for homelessness. Please contact us for further information and help - details at the bottom of this page.

Am I homeless?

Homelessness means not having a home. Even if you have a roof over your head you can still be homeless. This is because you may not have any rights to stay where you live or your home might be unsuitable for you.

You may be entitled to help as a homeless person if you are:

  • Temporarily staying with friends or family
  • Staying in a hostel or bed and breakfast
  • Living in very overcrowded conditions
  • At risk of violence or abuse in your home
  • Living in poor conditions that affect your health
  • Living somewhere that you have no legal right to stay in (eg a squat)
  • Living somewhere that you can't afford to pay for without depriving yourself of basic essentials
  • Forced to live apart from your family or someone you would normally live with because your accommodation isn't suitable.

Shelter, the housing and homelessness charity, have produced a guide that explains what help you are entitled to from your local council:

Homeless? How and when the council has to help you (PDF 268K)

I think I am homeless - What happens next?

Please contact us immediately - details below.

  • You will be given an appointment with a Housing Advice officer.
  • We will carry out a full assessment of your circumstances and needs.
  • Temporary accommodation will be provided if applicable.
  • You will be registered with Council Housing and all housing associations in the district.
  • An advice officer will continue to advise and support you until alternative accommodation has been found.
  • Floating support is available to help you in your new accommodation.

I am threatened with homelessness - Can I get help?

If you are threatened with homelessness within 28 days please contact us immediately.

Our Housing Advice team will work with you to stop you becoming homeless. The things we can do to help include:

  • Liaise and negotiate with landlords
  • Assist with housing benefit issues
  • Financial assistance from the Prevention Fund
  • Family mediation
  • Supported hostel accommodation for young people (16-25)
  • Assist with accommodation in the private rented sector

Contacting us outside office hours

If you are homeless and our office is closed, please call the council's Emergency Call Centre on 01524 67099 and you will be put in contact with a Housing Advice officer. (Please note calls are recorded for monitoring and training purposes)





01524 582257

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.

Feb 2016








1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Lancaster City Council
Town Hall
Dalton Square

Telephone: 01524 582 000

Email customer services