At a recent city council Cabinet meeting, approval was granted for the development of two licensing schemes - Additional Licensing and Selective Licensing - in the West End of Morecambe. These schemes are aimed at improving the management and standards of privately rented properties in that area.
Lancaster City Council currently operates a mandatory licensing scheme across the district as required by law for particular types of houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). Additional licensing broadens the definition of a HMO, bringing more properties under the remit of HMO licensing.
Selective Licensing is a scheme which allows a local authority to introduce licensing conditions to all other private rented housing within a designated area. Selective Licensing can only be introduced if certain conditions are present:
- Low housing demand
- The area is experiencing a significant and persistent problem caused by anti-social behaviour and some or all of the private sector landlords are failing to adequately manage anti-social behaviour within their tenancies
Selective Licensing can run for up to five years and can only be renewed with permission from the Secretary of State.
Consultation - how to have your say
From Monday 9 October we are running a 10-week consultation regarding the licensing proposals, and a questionnaire is being sent to every home in Harbour and Heysham North wards. We encourage everyone to complete it and return using the enclosed prepaid envelopes, by Friday 15 December. Alternatively, you can complete the questionnaire online:
- Selective licensing consultation - online questionnaire
- Am I in the consultation area? Check your postcode here (XLSX, 13KB)
- The questionnaire will be available online until Friday 15 December
Before completing the questionnaire, we advise that you read the following documents:
- Case for selective licensing in Morecambe (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Map of proposed licensing areas (PDF, 5.1MB)
- Proposed licensing conditions (PDF, 299KB)
In addition to the questionnaire, we are holding a series of drop-in sessions around the West End, enabling residents, landlords, business owners and anyone else who has an interest, to give their views about the proposals.
|Wednesday 15 November, 6pm - 8pm||More Music, LA3 1QT|
|Monday 20 November, 9:30am - 11:30am||More Music, LA3 1QT|
|Wednesday 22 November, 9:30am - 11:30am||Morecambe Town Hall, Marine Road, LA4 5AF|
|Tuesday 28 November, 2pm - 4pm||West End Impact, Heysham, LA3 1DG|
|Wednesday 6 December, 9:3am - 11:30am||More Music, LA3 1QT|
Last updated: 03 November 2017