Phase 1 of the work from Lord Street to Happy Mount Park was completed in the summer 2017 and is a resounding success in both public perception and performing the primary function of preventing high tides from breaching the defences.
Phase 3 of the works along Sandylands Promenade between the Battery and Oakley Road started in May 2017 and is now substantially complete and comprised refurbishment of the existing wall.
Phase 2 of the works between the Midland Hotel and the Battery is now in progress.
Full details and plans can be viewed as part of the phase 2 and 3 planning application.
About the project
- Newsletter 6 April 2018 - Morecambe Wave Refelction Wall (PDF, 4.4MB)
- Newsletter 5 October 2017 - Morecambe Wave Reflection Wall (PDF, 943KB)
- Newsletter 4 December 2016 - Morecambe Wave Reflection Wall
- Newsletter 3 July 2016 - Morecambe Wave Reflection Wall
- Newsletter 2 April 2016 - Morecambe Wave Reflection Wall
- Newsletter 1 January 2016 - Morecambe Wave Reflection Wall (PDF, 2.5MB)
- View Phase 1 planning application
- View Phase 2-3 planning application
The coastal defences at Morecambe have been heavily engineered during the past 100 years and particularly since the 1980s in response to significant overtopping and flood damage during storms.
Primary defences include a sea wall, rock armour, rock fish tail groynes and sand recharge areas.
In addition to the primary coastal defences, a secondary wave reflection wall has been constructed following extensive flooding during the 1970s. The wall was constructed as part of a scheme of works to protect the town of Morecambe from flooding due to breaches and overtopping of the sea wall.
Over the years parts of the wall have been subject to alkali silica reaction (ASR) and as a result the wall needs to be replaced. The project is supported by funding from the Environment Agency and will be undertaken through three distinct phases.
- Phase 1 will focus on the Wave Reflection Wall replacement along Marine Road East between Happy Mount Park and Lord Street
- Phase 2 will focus on the Marine Road West area from the Midland Hotel to the Battery
- Phase 3 will focus on the Sandylands Promenade area
Last updated: 30 April 2018