> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

You are here: Home > Planning > Planning Permission > Planning enforcement

Planning enforcement

Planning enforcement charter

At the 12 December 2011 Planning and Highways Regulatory Committee, Lancaster City Council formally resolved to adopt a new planning enforcement charter.

This charter provides information regarding the role of enforcement within the planning system, alongside general advice regarding unauthorised development, the issue of expediency and the penalties for failing to comply with any formal notices issued by the council. It also contains an 'Order of Priority', which explains the type of complaints that will be prioritised.

The procedure for making a complaint about a possible breach of planning control is contained within the charter. Complainants will be asked to provide specific details regarding the location, nature and reason for making their complaint, and so it is advisable for complainants to consult the charter before contacting us.

Similarly the charter contains information for those that have been the subject of a complaint, or may have breached planning control.

It is important to note that enforcement officers will remain impartial at all times and will act in the wider public interest within the legislative boundaries of planning control.

View the Planning Enforcement Charter (PDF 321K)

Planning Enforcement Register

In accordance with the requirements of Section 188 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 a summary of the Enforcement Notices, Breach of Conditions Notices, Stop Notices and Planning Enforcement Orders that the Council has served since 1996 can be viewed here.
The list is updated on a quarterly basis. The Council will not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided.

Making a complaint

Before making a complaint, you are advised to discuss your concerns with the owner of the property. Many of the complaints we receive do not concern issues that are covered under the planning laws. You should also note that some works do not require planning consent. 

If you are unsure if planning permission has been granted for a development, you can view planning applications and decisions online.

When making a complaint, you should include:

Your name and address

The nature of your complaint - for example change of use of land or buildings, erection of buildings or extensions, works to trees or hedgerows, untidy land etc.

The reason for your complaint - Describe the impact or harm that the alleged breach of planning control is having, for example increased noise, increased traffic, looks unsightly etc.

The above information is essential for us to investigate your complaint. Due to the large number of complaints we get, a priority system is used and complaints with the greatest impact will normally be investigated first. Complainants personal details will be kept confidential - we understand that complainants may wish to remain anonymous, but in order for us to assess the impact of the alleged breach this information is important.

How to submit a complaint:

1. Complete the Online Enforcement Report Form

2. Email: dm@lancaster.gov.uk

3. Telephone (Between 9:30am and 11:30am Monday to Friday):

  • Debbie Threlfall, Senior Planning Control Officer: 01524 582344
  • Alison Hesketh, Planning Control Officer: 01524 582350

4. Write to: Planning Control (Enforcement), PO Box 4, Town Hall, Lancaster, LA1 1QR





01524 582950

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.