The Planning and Housing Policy Team prepare the Local Plan documents and produce housing policy. The team is based in Morecambe Town Hall.
Consultation on proposed modifications has now ended
A summary of the representations and more information can be found on the Development Management DPD web page.
Consultation until 31 July 2014 – how can we meeting our future housing needs?
An independent consultant has said that over the next 20 years the Lancaster district needs an additional 12,000 new homes due to an increasing population and growing economy.
The council now has to find sites to meet this need for new homes and the accompanying infrastructure.
We have been doing some work on this but we still need to find sites for approximately 5,000 homes. We need your help to decide on the best approach.
We are consulting on five potential options to identify additional sites for future development and you may like to suggest other approaches to finding sites for large numbers of homes. The consultation will run from 2 June to 31 July 2014 and has included a number of drop in events across the district.
Find out more about how you can get involved and have your say including an online questionnaire
To help inform the debate we have published a Sustainability Appraisal of the options. This has been prepared by Hyder Consultants on behalf of the council and provides an independent assessment of the sustainability of the suggested options.
Newsletter including details of June/July consultation
We have published our first Local Plan newsletter which provides details on the June consultation and where we are up to with developing the new Local Plan.
Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment 2014
The council has published an updated Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA). It is a piece of evidence that assesses land for its suitability for housing and whether housing would be likely to be built in the next 15 years. The SHLAA does not allocate land for housing, that will be done through the Land Allocations DPD.
New Lancaster Retail Study has been published
In January 2014, the council published its revised Retail Study. This sets out the future requirements for comparison and convenience (food) shopping within the district. The findings of the assessment will be used to inform the Local Plan for Lancaster District.
Lancaster district's housing requirement update (Turley Associates Report)
In October 2013, the council published an updated Independent Housing Requirements Study (pdf, 2.5mb) Turleys Associates were commissioned to provides robust and credible evidence of the housing requirements in the district over the period 2011-2031. The report will be used to inform the new Local Plan for the district, particularly the Land Allocations DPD.
Walney Offshore Windfarm Extension
A public examination began on 12 November 2013 and is expected to continue until 12 May 2014. Following a report by the Examinining Authority, a decision on the scheme is expected by the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change late in 2014.
This is a project to extend the existing offshore wind farm at Walney, off the Cumbrian coast. If approved, the scheme could add an additional 207 turbines, generating up to 750MW of electricity. The electricity generated will be connected to the national grid through a new onshore sub-station at Heysham. Due to size of the project it is classed as Nationally Strategic Infrastructure Project and the application will be dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate.
Lancaster City Council has been working in partnership with DONG Energy and other affected local authorities, including Lancashire County Council, Cumbria County Council and Copeland Borough Council to ensure that local people have been properly engaged and consulted with, so that local views can help shape the eventual outcome.
If you would like to learn more about this project, please follow this link to Cumbria County Council’s website, or if you would like find out how to make a comment on the planning application, please visit the Planning Inspectorate's website.
- Phase 1: Retail Development Strategy, Final Report (January 2014) (pdf, 3.6Mb)
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) October 2013 (Independent Housing Requirements Study - Final Report)(pdf, 2.5mb)
- Development Management - Representation Statement, December 2013 (pdf, 173kb)
- Development Management - Summary of representations received, December 2013 (pdf, 742kb)
- Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment - Site Suggestions Map Book 2013
- Development Management DPD, Publication Version
- Morecambe Area Action Plan, Publication and Map
- Interim Five Year Housing Land Supply Statement (pdf, 1.8MB)
- Housing Land Monitoring Report 2013 (pdf, 1.5MB)
- Housing Land Trajectory 2013 (pdf, 1.1MB)
- Annual Monitoring Report 2012 (pdf, 2.8MB)
- Grab Lane Setting Study by AHP - A study of the historic setting in and around Grab Lane, Lancaster.
- Land Allocations DPD Landscape Assessments by Woolerton-Dodwell - As part of the Lancaster District Local Plan work, Woolerton Dodwell have undertaken an assessment of the emerging strategic site options at Bailrigg, Carnforth South, Grab Lane, Heysham Energy Coast and Whinney Carr.