The Planning and Housing Policy Team prepare the Local Plan documents and produce housing policy. The team is based in Morecambe Town Hall.
Matters and Issues Paper Published
The Inspector has prepared and published his 'Matters and Issues' paper for the public examination into the Development Management DPD and Morecambe Area Action Plan. This sets out the issues which will be discussed at the enquiry hearing sessions including some specific questions from the Inspector. For further information please visit the examination web page.
Announcement of Dates for Public Examination for the Development Management DPD and Morecambe AAP
The public examination for the Development Management DPD and Morecambe AAP will start on Tuesday 1st April 2014 at 10am, Lancaster Town Hall, Dalton Square and will last approximately two weeks. The Secretary of State has appointed Mr Paul Crysell BSc MSc MRTPI as the Inspector who will carry out the public examination. A timetable for the hearings can be found on the examination web page.
The full Press Notice can be downloaded from the right hand menu.
The submitted policy documents and all other supporting documents are available on the Submission Documents page. Paper copies of the Submission documents are available at both Lancaster and Morecambe Town Halls and at local public libraries during normal working hours. A full paper copy of all the submission and supporting documents are only available at Morecambe Town Hall.
New Lancaster Retail Study has been published
In January 2014, the council published its revised Retail Study. This sets out the future requirements for comparison and convenience (food) shopping within the district. The findings of the assessment will be used to inform the Local Plan for Lancaster District.
Lancaster district's housing requirement update
In October 2013, the council published an updated Independent Housing Requirements Study (pdf, 2.5mb) Turleys Associates were commissioned to provides robust and credible evidence of the housing requirements in the district over the period 2011-2031. The report will be used to inform the new Local Plan for the district, particularly the Land Allocations DPD.
Walney Offshore Windfarm Extension
A public examination began on 12 November 2013 and is expected to continue until 12 May 2014. Following a report by the Examinining Authority, a decision on the scheme is expected by the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change late in 2014.
This is a project to extend the existing offshore wind farm at Walney, off the Cumbrian coast. If approved, the scheme could add an additional 207 turbines, generating up to 750MW of electricity. The electricity generated will be connected to the national grid through a new onshore sub-station at Heysham. Due to size of the project it is classed as Nationally Strategic Infrastructure Project and the application will be dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate.
Lancaster City Council has been working in partnership with DONG Energy and other affected local authorities, including Lancashire County Council, Cumbria County Council and Copeland Borough Council to ensure that local people have been properly engaged and consulted with, so that local views can help shape the eventual outcome.
If you would like to learn more about this project, please follow this link to Cumbria County Council’s website, or if you would like find out how to make a comment on the planning application, please visit the Planning Inspectorate's website.
- Phase 1: Retail Development Strategy, Final Report (January 2014) (pdf, 3.6Mb)
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) October 2013 (Independent Housing Requirements Study - Final Report)(pdf, 2.5mb)
- Development Management - Representation Statement, December 2013 (pdf, 173kb)
- Development Management - Summary of representations received, December 2013 (pdf, 742kb)
- Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment - Site Suggestions Map Book 2013
- Development Management DPD, Publication Version
- Morecambe Area Action Plan, Publication and Map
- Interim Five Year Housing Land Supply Statement (pdf, 1.8MB)
- Housing Land Monitoring Report 2013 (pdf, 1.5MB)
- Housing Land Trajectory 2013 (pdf, 1.1MB)
- Annual Monitoring Report 2012 (pdf, 2.8MB)
- Grab Lane Setting Study by AHP - A study of the historic setting in and around Grab Lane, Lancaster.
- Land Allocations DPD Landscape Assessments by Woolerton-Dodwell - As part of the Lancaster District Local Plan work, Woolerton Dodwell have undertaken an assessment of the emerging strategic site options at Bailrigg, Carnforth South, Grab Lane, Heysham Energy Coast and Whinney Carr.