Please note that due to a number of vacant posts in the planning application team that have proved difficult to fill during the Covid-19 related lockdown, the council currently has a large backlog of valid planning related applications and pre-application enquiries. Understandably this is resulting in a significant volume of correspondence from concerned applicants and agents. In dealing with such correspondence it diverts our resources away from processing the applications. We would therefore respectfully ask for your patience as the council seeks to do all it can to bring in resources to tackle this backlog. In the interim please note that delays of many weeks will be incurred in processing and determining the applications and pre-application enquiries. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Through the Planning Portal website
Before you submit an application check that you have:
- Form - completed the correct application form
- Certificate - filled in and signed the correct certificate (found at the end of the application form – it relates to land ownership)
- Plans - drawn up the relevant plans to an appropriate scale, as stated in our Planning Application Validation Guide (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Documents - drafted the required supporting documents, as stated in our Planning Application Validation Guide (PDF, 2.5MB) and designations and constraints guidance
- Fees - paid any relevant fee, as stated in the schedule of planning fees (PDF, 108KB)
All five of the above are required in order to validate an application.
Any sensitive information of a personal or commercial nature must be submitted as a separate document clearly marked "confidential".
Lancaster City Council Privacy Statement (Planning)
Other ways to submit an application
How to pay
If you have submitted your planning application directly to Lancaster City Council rather than through the Planning Portal, you can pay the associated fees in the following ways:-
The quickest way to pay is online through our eStore. You will need your planning application number or application site address and your debit or credit card.
Please make cheques payable to Lancaster City Council, make a note of the application reference and / or site address on the reverse of the cheque and send your completed application and relevant plans to:
PO Box 4, Town Hall, Dalton Square, Lancaster, LA1 1QR
To pay by card please telephone 01524 582950 (option 1) between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. You will need your planning application reference number or application site address and your debit or credit card.
Please note that your application will not be processed until payment is received.
Last updated: 16 September 2020