Businesses who have not yet claimed
We are writing to the remaining eligible small businesses that have not yet claimed their small business support grant, or confirmed their banking details, with details of how to apply for the £10,000 funding.
We understand that these letters may take some time due to postal delays and that they may go to business premises that are temporarily closed.
- If you would like to apply ahead of receiving a letter please email email@example.com with your business rates account number and we will contact you about applying online
- If you do not know your business rates account number, email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may be asked for supplementary evidence and information to verify your identity
All those eligible businesses that made a claim and/or confirmed their banking details with the city council before March 31 should now have received their payments.
Please note that we are dealing with a significant level of queries and we are replying to support requests as quickly as we can.
The Government has announced (as at 11 March 2020) a scheme to pay small businesses in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief a grant of £10,000. There are some exceptions to this. Business premises used for storage and for personal use (eg private stables, beach huts and moorings) will not qualify.
We expect the Government to provide this grant in early April so we are working now to ensure that we have up to date bank details for all of those businesses which will qualify for the grant.
We are seeking to ensure that any payments we make are eligible for subsequent Government reimbursement and are seeking to minimise any loss arising from making payments to non-qualifying businesses.
As such, we are asking for the following confirmations in the application process below:
- That your business qualified for Small Business Rates Relief on 11 March 2020 (the form asks for your business rates reference number so that we can check eligibility)
- That your business premises does not relate to personal use (storage, private stables, beach huts and moorings) and is not being used just for storage. We will ask you to confirm the main use of your premises
- That the council reserves the right to recover any advance where it is subsequently confirmed that your business did not meet the qualification criteria.
Last updated: 01 July 2020