Information about markets and market stalls in Lancaster and Morecambe, including availability, stall and shop unit prices, and how to apply for a stall or pitch.
Assembly Rooms Emporium (indoor market in Lancaster)
- Located on the ground floor of one of Lancaster Grade II listed heritage buildings
- Just a stone's throw from the city's two main shopping centres and numerous cultural and historical attractions including the City Museum and Lancaster Castle
- Offers the perfect opportunity for small or start up businesses of the arts and crafts industry to showcase and sell their creations on the high street.
- Vacant pitches currently available in the main trading hall start from just £31.50 per week.
We currently have a number of stalls available at the market for commodities including antiques, collectables and curiosities, vintage and alternative goods, arts and crafts.
Starts from £31.50 per week. Casual stalls are also available at £7.50 per day (Tuesday to Friday) and £10 per day on Saturday. See special offer below to help get new traders off to a flying start.
Apply for a stall
Free pitches/studio space available for first two months of trading
Anyone who can bring something different to the Assembly Rooms Emporium is invited to trade in the market hall for free for two months. The Assembly Rooms Emporium provides the perfect backdrop for those selling antiques and collectables, vintage or alternative goods. The pitches can also be used as studio space for arts and crafters to make, showcase and sell their creations. The offer of two month's free trading must be followed by a minimum of one further month trading at the regular rate.
Business space for a cafe/tearoom is also currently available.
Festival Market (covered market in Morecambe)
We currently have a number of units and stalls available at the market for a number of commodities - please see vacant commodities below.
The rental varies - please see stall rental below and special offer for new traders below.
- Open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, 9am - 5pm (summer), 9am - 4.30pm (winter)
- 15 lock-up shop units with a trading area of 13.37 square metres (144 square feet)
- More than 100 stalls each with a trading area of 9.29 square metres (100 square feet)
- Half stalls are also available for casual traders
- Additional footfall generated by festivals and events which take place close by throughout the summer in Morecambe and all year round at the market.
- Security available to enable stallholders to leave goods in market whilst building is closed.
- Regular visits from coach groups as well as regular visitors to the market.
Discounted rates for new traders
Traders bringing a new commodity to the market are eligible for a discounted rental of just £100 per month for the first three months of trading – a fantastic opportunity for new traders to get off to a flying start and benefit from the increase in footfall during spring/summer trading. You need to commit to trading for an additional month (or for three additional months if you sign up between May and July). Commodities must be new or currently absent from the market.
Half-stalls are available for free to local charities who wish to raise awareness of what they do and attract supporters.
Those who wish to raise money via the sale of goods are charged a small rental fee of £5 for the day. Half stalls – (measuring 2’6 x 9’6) must be booked well in advance and proof of public liability insurance cover provided. A street collection licence is required if money collection (without selling of goods) is to take place. Contact the Market Team or customer services on 01524 582000 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a booking form.
Charter Market (outdoor market in Lancaster)
If you’d prefer to trade in a bustling outdoor environment every Wednesday and Saturday in the heart of Lancaster City Centre, then the historic Charter Market might be the answer.
- Great city centre location close to two main shopping centres and a wealth of historic and cultural visitor attractions.
- Operates every Wednesday and Saturday and enjoys a healthy footfall of regular customers and those visiting the city to enjoy a day of shopping and sightseeing.
- Market days are Wednesday and Saturday, 9am to 4.30pm (4pm in winter), except Bank Holidays.
Starts from £20 per day in Market Street, Market Square and Cheapside (subject to pitch size). Rents are payable in advance by credit or debit card only (sorry no cash or cheques).
Apply for a stall
- Trader Rules (PDF, 273KB)
- Charter Market Street Plan (PDF, 370KB)
- Trader Welcome Pack (PDF, 1.1MB)
Free pitches to rent*
New traders can apply for a free pitch on Lancaster’s popular street market (Wednesdays and Saturdays, maximum of two days trading per trader).
*Offer applies to new traders introducing something different to the market and bringing commodities other than food. Pitch sizes are 3m by 3m.
Register an interest for a market stall
To register an interest in taking up a stall at any of the above markets, complete the online form at www.lancaster.gov.uk/traderinterest or email email@example.com and a member of the markets team will be in touch.
Please note the above form is not an application form. It will just give us an idea of where you would prefer to trade and the type of goods you wish to sell.
A member of the markets team will then be in touch with further information about trading on our markets and the relevant application form for you to complete (if appropriate).
To be eligible for any of the offers, new traders must be bringing something new to the markets.