> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

You are here: Home > Apply For ItTell us once

Tell us once

Tell Us Once logo

Tell Us Once logo

Tell Us Once helps to reduce the amount of time you need to spend contacting government departments and organisations when someone dies.

Instead of informing every relevant government agency and local council service about a death, just tell us once and we will do the rest.

This page tells you how Tell Us Once works, how you can use the service, and what departments and organisations we can contact on your behalf.

How does it work?

When you make your appointment to register the death at the local Register Office, the Tell Us Once service will be explained to you.

If you choose to take part, the Registrar will set up the deceased’s details on a national database. You can then use the Tell Us Once service online, over the phone, or in person.

Online: Go to the online Tell Us Once service.

Telephone: Call the dedicated Department for Work and Pensions helpline on 0800 085 7308

In person: You can talk to an advisor at our customer service centres in Lancaster and Morecambe. Details of how to do this are given below.

Making an appointment with us

To make an appointment to speak with one of our advisors in person, please call us on 01524 582000 or email customerservices@lancaster.gov.uk.

For details of how to find our customer service centres in Lancaster and Morecambe, please see our Contact page.

What do I need to bring with me?

• Deceased's National Insurance Number and date of birth
• Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
• Their death certificate
• National Insurance Number and date of birth of Next of Kin
• Blue Badge
• Passport
• Driving Licence

Who can you notify for me?

Department for Work and Pensions
  The Pension, Disability and Carers Service
  Jobcentre Plus
HM Revenue and Customs
  Child Benefit
  Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  Personal Taxation
Identity and Passport Service
• Housing Benefit Office
• Council Tax Benefit Office

These organisations can also be told if you ask us to do so:

• Council Housing
• Council Tax
• Libraries
• Blue badges
• NowCard
• Adult Services
• Children's Services
• Collection of payment for council services
• Electoral Services
• Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

How do you treat the information I give?

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Registering a death

For more information on registering a death visit the Lancashire County Council website.





01524 582000

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.