The Budget and Performance Panel has responsibility for carrying out overview and scrutiny for the council's budget and performance at both strategic and service level:
To scrutinise the council’s arrangements and performance in relation to financial planning, including budget and target setting, eg items within the budget framework including:
- reviewing the effectiveness of the budget setting process
- contents of the medium term financial strategy
- Capital investment strategy
- financial targets in the corporate plan
To review the management of resources by scrutinising the council’s financial performance in year against agreed budgets or other targets including:
- capital and revenue spending against approved budgets
- specific activities including treasury management, generation of revenue and capital income targets
- monitoring of financial savings and efficiency targets
To monitor and review by exception reporting within the PRTs the performance of the council’s services, partnerships and contractual arrangements in delivering specific strategic and operational objectives and outcomes, including:
- performance review reports
- monitor the delivery and effectiveness of service level agreement targets
- assess performance against key performance indicators and benchmarks
- assess whether services and partnerships are delivering their expected outcomes
To scrutinise the council’s policies and procedures and other supporting arrangements for securing value for money, eg:
- value for money strategy
- procurement practices
- income management and collection arrangements
- asset management practices
- insurance arrangements.
To consider risk management issues in reviewing and scrutinising performance.
To make recommendations as appropriate in respect of the above.
Last updated: 22 March 2016