About The Storey

Central to Lancaster’s artistic, technical and scientific innovation, The Storey has been remodelled as a purpose-designed centre for the creative industries.

Built in 1898 by local philanthropist and tradesman, Thomas Storey, the building originally offered educational opportunities to the people of Lancaster. Today, we maintain Storey's philosophy that the building should be a place for the people and inspire forward thinking. For this reason, as well as providing a home to a growing number of successful creative businesses, we offer a variety of engaging events ranging from business conferences, seminars and networking, to films, music, and theatrical recitals.

The building also plays host to an exciting array of literary performances, workshops and art exhibitions.

The Storey is prominent in Lancaster's history and is looking forward to being a big part of its future. Let it be part of your future too.


This prestigious Grade II listed building was constructed between 1887 and 1891 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.

Thomas Storey provided the funding for the building which was renamed the Storey Institute in his honour in 1891. Its purpose was for ‘the promotion of art, science, literature, and technical instruction’.

Its first art exhibition, held in 1889, included paintings by Gainsborough, Constable, and Canaletto.

The Storey is one of the most recognisable buildings in the city and is a gateway to the town centre. It also acts as the gateway to Castle Hill and the medieval Lancaster Castle and is only a minute’s walk from Lancaster Train Station.

Find us