Dog home boarding establishments licence

If you are paid to look after (board) other people’s dogs in your home, you will need a licence from the local authority.

The maximum number of dogs that may be boarded at any one time will be limited to three. Only dogs from the same household can be boarded together, unless the premises have been specifically assessed by an inspector for the boarding of dogs from different households.

Where dogs from different households are to be boarded together, extra conditions will be applied to a licence in order to seek to effectively manage such boarding and boarders will be expected to adhere to these extra conditions at all times.

The following conditions apply to the issuing of a licence:

Please note that all boarding establishment licences run from the date first granted to 31st December in the same year. Part-year applications will therefore still require the same licence fee.

A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises, all new applications will receive a visit from an authorised local authority officer and a visit will always be undertaken following receipt of a renewal application.

Licensed home boarders

Eligibility criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • Keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • Owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

How to apply

Please use the application form below and return it to Environmental Health Department, Lancaster City Council, Town Hall, Marine Road, Morecambe, LA4 5AF, fax 01524 582709 or email to

For any enquiries regarding this licence please contact: Sue Clowes, 01524 582740.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Consumer complaint

Complaints regarding home boarding establishments can be forwarded to our Environmental Health Service. Email, or call 01524 582757 or 01524 582740.

Last updated: 05 June 2018