Privacy settings

Moving home

Before moving into your new home you need to make sure that you have arranged to get your gas connected, completed any housing benefit application forms (where applicable) and know how to pay your first weeks rent.

Paying your rent

When you sign up for your tenancy you be given all the information you need to enable you to pay your rent. For more information have a look at the Rent and Service Charges page.

Gas connection

You can ring 0870 608 1524 to find out who your current gas supplier is. You will then need to contact them to set up an account, then contact Council Housing to arrange for an engineer to call out while you are there to turn on the gas and test the appliances.


The council insures the actual fabric and buildings of your home but you will need to insure the contents and your personal belongings.

Council Housing Services have negotiated schemes with two different insurance companies for Lancaster City Council tenants. This means that tenants can insure their belongings in an easy and affordable way. With these schemes you can spread your payments over weekly or monthly instalments. Lancaster City Council does not receive any money from these schemes.

You can get full details about these schemes from the council housing customer services desk at Lancaster town hall.

Moving out

If you are thinking about moving out of your home you will need to be aware of the following information.

Last updated: 21 May 2021

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings