Privacy settings

Pavement licences

A pavement licence can be applied for by businesses that want to place furniture on the public highway.

This enables them to sell or serve food and drink supplied from, or in connection with the use of their premises. Examples of such businesses include public houses, cafés, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops, and ice cream parlours. 

The furniture which may be used is:

  • counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
  • chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink.

All furniture is required to be removable, meaning it must not be a permanent fixed structure and can be moved or stored away. 

To apply for a pavement licence, you will need to:

Pavement licence fees

The fee for a new licence is £500. The fee for a renewal is £350, licences will be issued for 2 years.

How to apply

Further information

Last updated: 03 July 2024

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings