Self-isolation support

You may be entitled to a support payment of £500 if:

  • You have been asked to self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace service
  • Your child has been asked to self-isolate by NHS test and Trace service, or their school/childcare provider, and you have to take time off work to care for them


You may be eligible for the payment if you, or your child, have been asked to self-isolate. You must:

  • be employed or self-employed
  • have lost income as a result of having to stay at home
  • get at least one of the qualifying benefits

The qualifying benefits are:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • income based Employment and Support Allowance
  • income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

If you do not get any qualifying benefits

You may qualify for a discretionary payment if you are on a low income and will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you, or your child, are self-isolating.

Due to the limited funds available applications will be on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis and the scheme will end either on 30 June 2021 or when Government-provided funds are exhausted, whichever is the earlier.

National lockdown

If you are unable to work due to the national lockdown restrictions you will not be eligible for a self-isolation payment, even if you have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

You can check your eligibility and apply using the online form below.

How to apply

Apply for support online using the online form below.

You need to apply within six weeks of the first day of self-isolation.

Members of the same household can apply for support for the same isolation period. You will need to make a separate claim for each eligible person who is self-isolating.

Please note only one parent can claim if the only reason they are self-isolating is to care for a child.

Please note that if you don't hear back from us you do not need to reapply.

Further information