What is Fairtrade?
Fairtrade aims to tackle poverty by enabling disadvantaged producers from poor countries to receive a better deal. The FAIRTRADE Mark, which guarantees that products meet international Fairtrade standards, is often seen on tea and coffee but Fairtrade applies to much, much more. All sorts of amazing hand-crafted items and other products from all around the world carry the FAIRTRADE Mark: from pasta to cotton and from soap to wine – you can buy it all in the Lancaster district.
Fairtrade in the Lancaster district
In March 2004 Lancaster district was awarded the title of ‘Fairtrade District’ by the Fairtrade Foundation. This certification acknowledges the number of outlets supplying Fairtrade products in the district as well as the many organisations which support Fairtrade.
Lancaster City Council and Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade Group continue to work together to champion Fairtrade in the community, working hard to ensure that the number of organisations which supply Fairtrade items to the district continues to increase year on year.
- Further details on the Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade group at www.lancasterfairtrade.org.uk
Where can I find Fairtrade products locally?
The Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade Group maintains the Lancaster and Morecambe Fairtrade District Directory (supported by Global Link) which lists the cafés and retail outlets supplying products with the FAIRTRADE Mark and other fairly traded items in Lancaster district.
How can I support Fairtrade in the Lancaster district?
You can do a lot to support Fairtrade, it's easy!
- Join Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade Group - call 01524 751965 to see how you can get involved
- Chose products with the FAIRTRADE Mark - use the Lancaster and Morecambe Fairtrade District Directory (supported by Global Link) to locate local suppliers
- Encourage your school or workplace to go Fairtrade
- Support Fairtrade Fortnight - this event occurs every March with stalls and information throughout the district
- Remember, you can support Fairtrade anywhere in the world - look out for the FAIRTRADE Mark when you are on holiday too
Global Link is a Development Education Centre based in Lancaster with a strong library of resources on global issues. Their aim is to promote awareness and understanding of global issues, and to empower people to take positive action for justice, development and sustainability. Global Link work with Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade Group to promote Fairtrade.
How does Lancaster City Council support Fairtrade?
Lancaster City Council supports Fairtrade by committing to the following:
- To promote awareness of Fairtrade
- To allocate Fairtrade District responsibilities to a member of staff
- To make it easy for district residents, tourists and businesses to locate local Fairtrade suppliers
- To attract and encourage Fairtrade press coverage
- To support Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade Group
Last updated: 11 February 2020