Privacy settings

Promenade permits

We manage access to Morecambe's waterfront through the issuing of permits.

General information

Morecambe promenade slipways are zoned to accommodate powered and non-powered craft.

The necessary permit must be obtained before launching your vessel from one of the slipways.

Launching permits are valid between 1st April and 31st March each year. Disabled angling and mooring permits are valid until vehicle details change or the related documentation expires.

  • Permits usually take five working days to process and will be posted to you.
  • Insurance documentation will be required at the time of application.
  • Please note - if applying for a permit during the course of a year, it will still need to be renewed in April.

Tide tables

Local tide tables can be purchased from Morecambe Visitor Information Centre, or you can view Morecambe Bay tide tables online.

In the event of an emergency, telephone 999 and ask for the Coastguard.

Quad bike launching to mussel beds

Permit numbers for the use of quad bikes to launch at the mussel beds off Morecambe Battery are to remain in place. The council has the task of balancing health and safety risks as mussel fishermen seek to harvest seed mussels from this year’s crop. This year activity for Buyers/Gangmasters and their workers is mainly centred at the Oakley Road slipway. This should help to reduce traffic numbers along the shoreline and the risk to beach users and fishermen alike. Commercial fishermen working for themselves can also apply for permits but will use the Battery slipway as in previous years.

The council is also taking serious regard of coastguard concerns about the condition of the sands and evidence from a number of incidents where people have recently got into difficulties requiring rescue.

Taking all these factors into account we do not intend to increase the number of permits for quad bike access to the sands.

Permit application details

Launching permit - powered and non-powered craft

Required to launch a powered or non-powered craft. Powered craft launch from Green Street slipway whereas non-powered craft launch from Morecambe town hall slipway

Disabled angling permit -  Stone Jetty or Grosvenor Breakwater 

This permit is designed for disabled anglers wishing to fish at any time during the year from the Stone Jetty or Grosvenor Breakwater.

Commercial fishermen and moorings access permit

A mooring registration form must be completed and the position of the mooring indicated within the application. We advise that vessel insurance is obtained as a precautionary measure.

Commercial fishing (including shellfish collection)

For any type of commercial fishing you must contact us first to discuss access, landing and storage. You can do this by either telephone or email - see contact details below. For more information download an application form.

Last updated: 10 June 2020

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings