Lancaster City Council is responsible for giving permission for you to use public spaces for your event or use of space to promote your business/cause/group, give out information or raise money. We will advise you of what is required to facilitate your booking and carry it out safely with appropriate insurance and health and safety requirements in place and we will take any applicable payment for your booking.
We collect, process and store personal information about you in order to carry out these functions.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. This notice is made in light of the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 and the Data Protection Act 2018, and gives advice on how we use your personal information.
When do we collect personal information?
We collect information from you when you apply to use public space for your event or pitch booking using our prescribed booking form.
We may sometimes obtain information about you from third parties, including from:
- Your public liability insurance provider
- Police who may be working with you to advise you
- Any persons who may be attending your event in their own right (eg performers or stall holders)
What personal information do we collect?
We require the following information from you:
- Full name
- Contact details (phone, email, and correspondence address)
- Details of anyone authorised to act on your behalf (if applicable)
- Name and business name of any third party attending your event, so that health and safety requirements by the third party can be checked
- Card details if you pay fees by card (these details are not stored)
How do we use your personal information?
We use your information for the following purposes:
- To manage your booking and payment (including, where applicable, to fulfil our obligations under any contract we may have with you)
- To fulfil our duties as a Licensing Authority
- To ensure people are safe in public areas managed by the council (this is part of our public task as a Local Authority)
The processing activities can be summarised as:
- Ensuring the relevant licences are obtained (TENS/PRS/PPL/Street Collection licence, ADIPS, parking dispensation, hygiene certificates, road closures) where applicable
- Ensuring booking conditions are complied with
- Ensuring Health and Safety guidance is complied with, including risk assessment considerations and provision of public liability insurance
- Informing other parties who may need to be made aware of your booking (as below)
We are required by law to protect the public funds we administer, and may use your information for the prevention and detection of crime (including fraud and money laundering).
We will only keep your information for as long as it is required by us or other regulatory bodies in order to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, or for other operational reasons. In most cases this will be for just 12 months after the event in case contact needs to be re-made or for audit purposes with regards to income and budget monitoring.
Do we share your information with anyone else?
We share your information with other organisations, including:
- Businesses in the area which may be affected by your booking (Arndale Centre for New Town Square bookings, City Museum for Market Square Bookings)
- Highways Authority (Lancashire County Council), so that they are aware of the use of the highways, if applicable
- Police, to make them aware of the booking
- Lancaster Business Improvement District (BID), to make them aware of the booking
If you owe us money, we will always try to contact you first to make an informal arrangement to pay off any debt. However, where this is unsuccessful, or if you have a history of late payments, we may pass your information onto debt collection agencies to recover any money owed.
We will not share your information with any other organisations unless required to do so by law.
Your rights and how to find out more
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you, and the right to object to our use of your information in certain circumstances.
For further information about your rights, how the council uses your information, and how to get in touch if you have a query or complaint, please see our main privacy notice.
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at any time. However, we take your privacy very seriously and will never change our policies or practices to make them less protective of your personal information.
If we make any changes to this policy that significantly affect you, we will aim to notify you directly if we hold contact details for you. You will always be able to find the most up-to-date version of this policy on our website at this address: www.lancaster.gov.uk/ccb-privacy.
Last updated: 26 February 2024