Privacy settings

Anti-social behaviour

Everyone has the right to live a life free from anti-social behaviour.

Your local council, the police and other community safety partner agencies, such as the fire service and social housing landlords, all have a responsibility to deal with anti-social behaviour and to help people who are suffering from it.

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of unacceptable activity that blights the lives of many people on a daily basis. It often leaves victims feeling helpless, desperate and with a seriously reduced quality of life.

Anti-social behaviour can involve harm to an individual, to the wider community or to the environment.

This could be an action by someone else that leaves you feeling alarmed, harassed or distressed. It also includes fear of crime or concern for public safety, public disorder or public nuisance.

Examples include: Dealing or using drugs in the street, drinking alcohol on the streets, dangerous or noisy dogs, inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles, nuisance from rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours, vandalism and littering, hoax calls and hate crime.

Some of the anti-social behaviour described above is a criminal offence, such as criminal damage or drug dealing, and this can result in arrest and prosecution.

How do I report it?

If the behaviour involves criminal activity, other than minor offences, then you should report the matter to the police.

You can call 101 to speak to your local neighbourhood policing team (or call 999 if it's an emergency, a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life, or when violence is being used or threatened).

If you are not sure we will assess your report on your behalf and forward to the police if necessary.

If you are a council tenant or the problem involves a council tenant then you should, in the first instance report the matter to your estate manager.

If you are the tenant of a social landlord and the problem involves another tenant of the same landlord then you should, in the first instance, report the issue to them.

In all other cases please report anti-social behaviour to us.

Last updated: 06 September 2018

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings