Food premises approval

If you operate a food business which processes products of animal origin (meat, fish or dairy products), you may need to be approved by your local authority.

You should contact us to see if you require approval. Examples of premises which require approval include:

  • Meat or fish processing plants
  • Meat or fish preparation plants
  • Minced meat and mechanically separated meat processing plants
  • Cold stores

For information on the licensing, inspection and reporting regimes which govern the meat production and processing industries please see the Food Standards Agency website.

Regulation summary

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply online

Trade associations

Last updated: 16 August 2017