Torrisholme Cemetery opened in 1906 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.
The total area of the cemetery is 14½ acres, containing areas for Church of England, Non-Conformist and Roman Catholic burials. There is one chapel available for worship.
The chapel is non-denominational and is available to all religions, sects and beliefs.
The cemetery also features the Neptune Baby and Young Child Memorial Garden, Gardens of Remembrance and a Woodland Burial area.
An area was established to commemorate the 1939 - 1945 World War II casualties by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 20 Casualties from the 1914 – 1918 World War 1 are buried in separate locations within the cemetery.
On plot K, there are 30 burials in graves purchased in 1951 by the Trustees of the Cinematograph Trade Benevolent Fund.
A Friends of Torrisholme Group has been established for this cemetery. For further details please contact Bill Jackson on 01524 417035 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This area was created in 1996. Species introduced include:
The English Daffodil - 1200 native English daffodils gifted by the Friends Group. The daffodil is a symbol of rebirth - a sign of the new beginnings that come with Spring.
Conservation Hedge Mix - The perimeter of the compound has been planted with a conservation hedge mix consisting of 50% Quickthorn, and 10% each of Cherry Plum, Crab Apple, Field Maple, Common Hazel and Dog Rose. This mix will provide early pollen for bees, spring and summer flowers, autumn fruits and harbourage for a range of birds, mammals and insects.
Bird Boxes and Hedgehog Hotels - The Friends Group have organised the construction of different types of bird boxes to be used as winter roosts and nesting. “Hedgehog Hotels” have been provided using pre-built structures as well as using piles of brushwood and leaf litter.