The Regimental Museum, housed within Lancaster City Museum, tells the story of the King's Own, or 4th Regiment of Foot, from 1680 to modern times including the First and Second World War.
The King's Own served all over the world and was involved in almost every major campaign. It has also served in some of the small lesser known campaigns such as in Abyssinia (Ethiopia) in 1868.
The Regiment's association with Lancaster dates from 1880, when the regiment moved into purpose built accommodation at Bowerham Barracks, now St. Martin's College.
The Regimental Museum was established in 1929 and has, since that time, formed a gallery within the City Museum. A permanent display tells the history of the regiment and temporary exhibitions are mounted from time to time. Five of the the Regiment's Victoria Crosses are displayed in the museum.
The museum offers an enquiry service on all aspects of regimental history, including family history.
Appointments are required for personal callers wishing to have access to the archives.
Opening times and admission
- Admission: Free
- For further information and current opening times please see Lancaster City Museum.
Last updated: 26 September 2018