Privacy settings

Accident Reporting and Suspected Food Poisoning

The Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 requires certain work related injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to be reported to the relevant enforcing authority - either the Health and Safety Executive or the local authority.

What must I report?

  • Fatalities
  • Major injuries that cause an employee to be off work for over fourteen days
  • Injuries to the public or non-employees requiring hospital treatment
  • Some work related diseases (such as asbestosis)
  • Dangerous occurrences that do not result in injury but could easily have done so (fire, explosion, wall collapse etc)

This list is not exhaustive and a full list can be on the HSE RIDDOR website.

How do I report?

To report incidents visit the HSE RIDDOR website. Incidents involving death or major injury should be reported without delay. It is recommended that you telephone us if an incident of this nature occurs and follow that by reporting the incident using the notification form.

All other incidents must be reported within 15 days using the notification form.

What records must I keep?

You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. The record can be kept in any form that is suitable for your operation (such as an accident book or print out of the report notification).

The following information must be included:

  • The date of reporting
  • Date of the event
  • Personal details of those involved
  • Brief description of the event and/or injury

What happens next?

Once a notification is received by the authority it is assessed to see if further investigation is warranted. The assessment is made with regard to the nature of the injury, persons involved and the circumstances. Officers investigate accidents with a view to preventing reoccurrence and the protection of a person’s health, safety and welfare.

Suspect food poisoning

Should you feel unwell following condumption of a food product or drink please feel free to get in touch with us. Some food posionings take effect within four hours of consumption these are typically toxins in products and your body expells these foods as quickly as possible. Food bourne illness takes time to build within your body so generally takes between 24 hours to 7 days before you would feel unwell, so please consider this when contacting us as we may well discuss your food consumption history further than 24 hours.


To report a food related incident during normal office hours to Lancaster City Council food and safety team please contact us on T: 01524 582935 or e-mail Out of hours you can complete the food standards agency incident form which will come to us via e-mail.


Should you be suffering from food poisoning symptoms please visit NHS choices.

Last updated: 12 December 2018

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings