Privacy settings

Health and safety complaints

We investigate complaints about health and safety in the workplace from employees and members of the public. We investigate complaints about:

  • Safety - such as dangerous machinery, equipment or electrics
  • Health - including exposure to noise or chemicals, or manual handling issues
  • Welfare - issues relating to lighting, ventilation and temperature

What can you do?

If you have concerns about a premises or have experienced a problem there are a number of things that you can do.

  • If you are an employee you can speak to your employer to try and resolve the issue yourself
  • If you are represented by a trade union, you can involve your union safety representative to try and resolve the issue on your behalf.
  • You can appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf
  • You can speak to the Employers Medical Advisory Service (EMAS) who can provide advice and information on health issues.
  • You can refer the matter to us for investigation.

Making a complaint to us

You will need to provide us with the following information to enable us to effectively investigate your complaint:

  • Your name, address and contact telephone number
  • The name and address of the premises you wish to complain about
  • The nature of your complaint
  • When and where the incident occurred
  • Submit your complaint using our online complaint form.

We will contact you after receiving your complaint to discuss your concerns. Our investigation will identify if there is, or has been, a breach of the law.

When our investigation is complete, we will decide what is the most appropriate course of action. This will range from no action through to prosecution. This decision will be made in accordance with our enforcement policy.

Should we decide that formal action (ie a prosecution) is the most appropriate course of action, we will need a witness statement from you and you may need to appear as a witness in court. We will discuss this procedure with you fully before we proceed with any formal action.

We will not be involved in seeking compensation. This is a civil matter and therefore you should seek advice from a solicitor.

Last updated: 03 March 2017

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings