Privacy settings

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

If you’re homeless or at risk of becoming homeless we urge you to contact our Housing Options Team as soon as possible for help. Our team of experienced officers can provide you with advice and assistance to resolve your housing issue - whether its to help you remain in your current accommodation or to find a suitable alternative.

  • During office hours call 01524 582257
  • In an emergency, at weekends, and when the office is closed, call 01524 67099

If you see someone sleeping rough

You can report your concerns:

During office hours (Monday to Friday – 9am – 5pm) by calling 01524 582257 or emailing

In an emergency outside office hours and at weekends by calling 01524 67099

Housing assistance referral

You can refer yourself into our service for help. Please only use this link if we haven’t spoken to you in the past six months.

If you are a professional wanting to refer people into our service, or complete a Duty to Refer notification, you must also use this link. 

In an emergency, at weekends, and when the office is closed, call 01524 67099, do not apply online.

I am threatened with homelessness - how can you help me?

Our Housing Advice team will work with you to stop you becoming homeless. The things we can do to help include:

  • Liaise and negotiate with landlords
  • Assist with housing benefit issues
  • Financial assistance from the Prevention Fund
  • Family mediation
  • Supported hostel accommodation for young people (16-25)
  • Assist with accommodation in the private rented sector

I am already homeless.  How can you help me?

You may be entitled to help as a homeless person if you are:

  • Temporarily staying with friends or family
  • Staying in a hostel or bed and breakfast
  • Living in very overcrowded conditions
  • At risk of violence or abuse in your home
  • Living in poor conditions that affect your health
  • Living somewhere that you have no legal right to stay in (eg a squat)
  • Living somewhere that you can't afford to pay for without depriving yourself of basic essentials
  • Forced to live apart from your family or someone you would normally live with because your accommodation isn't suitable.

If you meet the council's criteria for homelessness, we have a duty to find suitable accommodation for you.

What happens next?

  • You will be given an appointment with a Housing Advice officer.
  • We will carry out a full assessment of your circumstances and needs.
  • Temporary accommodation will be provided if applicable.
  • You will be registered with Council Housing and all housing associations in the district.
  • An advice officer will continue to advise and support you until alternative accommodation has been found.
  • Floating support is available to help you in your new accommodation.

Emergency accommodation during periods of severe weather

In periods of severe weather we will trigger the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) to provide emergency accommodation placements for anyone who is homeless.

Anyone finding themselves needing emergency accommodation during periods of severe weather should call us immediately.

  • During office hours call 01524 582257 or call in to our customer service centres at Lancaster or Morecambe Town Hall (please note that the centres are open Monday to Friday, from 9am until 1pm)
  • In an emergency, at weekends, and when the office is closed, call 01524 67099

 Alternatively you can:

  • Contact Shelter on 0808 800 4444 or in an emergency call them on 0808 1644 6600
  • Contact Citizens Advice on 03444 111 444

Last updated: 08 December 2023

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings