Privacy settings

Do I need permission?

Find out whether your home improvement or commercial project needs planning permission or building regulations approval

Agricultural land and holdings

Large parts of the district are in agricultural use. To sustain these areas, various works and development are required, whether it be for business or recreational purposes.

There are a number of prior notification procedures where development or a change of use is proposed under the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (as amended):

  • Schedule 2 Part 6 – for proposed agricultural/forestry buildings, tracks, waste and excavations, and fish tanks
  • Schedule 2 Part 3 Class Q – a change of use of an agricultural building to residential (C3) for up to 3 dwellings totalling no more than 450 sq.m
  • Schedule 2 Part 3 Class R - a change of use of an agricultural building up to 500 sq.m to a flexible use falling within either shops (A1), financial and professional services (A2), restaurants and cafes (A3), business (B1), storage or distribution (B8), hotels (C1) and assembly and leisure (D2)

Restrictions and conditions apply to each of the above, which are set out in the order.

Further information and associated forms are available on the Planning Portal.

Last updated: 30 May 2024

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings