Privacy settings

Do I need permission?

Find out whether your home improvement or commercial project needs planning permission or building regulations approval


Most houses and bungalows (but not flats, apartments or maisonettes) benefit from permitted development rights. This means that some improvements to your home do not require planning permission. You can use the Planning Portal interactive house to guide you in this regard, but we advise you to confirm with us prior to commencing works.

Permitted Lawful Development Certificate

For confirmation of whether planning permission is required you can apply for a Proposed Lawful Development Certificate. We will check if permitted development rights have been removed from your property, if your property falls within an Article 4 area or another restrictive designated area, and if your proposal falls within the parameters set by the General Permitted Development Order (regulations set by national government). If planning permission is not required for your proposal, you will be issued with a formal certificate to prove to you and future purchasers of your property that planning permission was not required.

Neighbour Consultation Scheme (Prior Approval for Householders)

Since 30 May 2013 a Neighbour Consultation Scheme has been in operation, which allows householders to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development subject to specific size limits. To satisfy the requirements of this scheme the householder must notify us and provide specific details as set out in our Prior Approval guidance note (DOC, 200KB).

We will notify all adjoining neighbours of the proposal, allowing them 21 days to make comment. The development can go ahead if no objections are raised (or where an objection is raised but when assessed by us it is considered that the proposal would have no adverse impacts on the amenity of any adjoining neighbour). To benefit from these permitted development rights, the extension must be built in accordance with the details submitted and built in materials to match the adjacent elevation of the existing house.  However, if any adjoining neighbour raises an objection within the 21 day period and we subsequently consider that the proposal would adversely impact on the amenity of one or more adjoining properties then the development cannot proceed.

Working from home

Operating a business from home does not always require planning permission provided that there is no change to the overall character of the dwelling and it remains primarily in residential use. Uses that affect the character of a residential area (for example activities that generate a significant volume of deliveries or visitors, creates noise, vibration, dust or smells or involve storage of large volumes of materials, vehicles or machinery) are likely to require permission. Further guidance is available from the Planning Portal. If you are in any doubt you should contact us to discuss your plans prior to implementing them.

Last updated: 30 May 2024

Lancaster City Council logogram

Cookies policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Review your privacy settings