Apply for building regulations approval

If you need building regulations approval there are two options when submitting an application for building works - a full plans application or a building notice application. Both of these types of application need to be submitted before you start work and the total fee for each is the same.

If you are unsure about what forms you need to complete, please contact us for advice or see our homeowner guidance and video guides.

Full plans application

This requires the submission of full construction drawings, details and specification of the intended scheme prior to works commencing on site. The submitted plans will be checked for compliance with the building regulations and we will advise you of any amendments or changes that are required. Upon receipt of suitably amended plans we will issue an approval notice.

Our building control surveyors will inspect work at various stages during construction.

This form of submission MUST ALWAYS be used for commercial projects and should include four copies of all drawings. For a householder full plans submission two copies of all drawings should be submitted.

Certain electrical works require approval in accordance with Part P of the Building Regulations - please see the relevant guidance notes for further information.

Building notice application

This application is particularly suited to simple domestic schemes such as internal alterations and small extensions, and when the persons responsible for the work are conversant with the requirements of the regulations.

Plans or details may be requested in some situations (eg structural calculations for loft conversions or through rooms), but only when absolutely necessary. Without plans there is no detailed check of the work before it is carried out and therefore no official decision notice is issued.

Whilst the building control surveyor will try to anticipate potential problems it is ultimately the responsibility of the person carrying out the work to ensure that the requirements of the regulations are satisfied.

Certain electrical works require approval in accordance with Part P of the Building Regulations - please see the relevant guidance notes for further information.

Regularisation certificate application

In the case of unauthorised work commenced from 11 November 1985, you may apply for a regularisation certificate.

A fee, which is not refundable, must be paid when the application is made.

Please note that the request for a regularisation certificate is entirely discretionary and we are under no obligation to accept it.


A Reversion Application is intended to be used in respect of Building Regulations where an Initial Notice for works controlled by an approved inspector has ceased to be in force and the application is to revert back to the Local Authority. 

Demolition notice application

A demolition notice is required where you intend to demolish any building or part of a building, unless it is due to a council demolition order, a part of an occupied building, a building less than 50 cubic metres, a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, or, an agricultural building. At least 6 weeks notice is required.

Building Control Fees

Building Control is here to help you comply with Building Standards. We are a non-profit making organisation and we derive our fees from the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.  These are laid out in our Building Control Fee Schedule 1st May 2017 (DOCX, 94KB) 

Please note that in some cases, supplementary fees will be applied.  These include but are not limited to the following (full details are listed in our  Building Control Fee Schedule 1st May 2017 (DOCX, 94KB).

  • Requests for a Completion Inspection where 12 months have elapsed since the previous inspection (£100)
  • Requests for a Completion Certificate when work has been completed for some time and / or no request has been received for an inspection within the previous 12 months (£25).
  • Costs incurred prior to the withdrawal of an application (£60)

Please contact us on 01524582950 if you require further clarification

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you require further clarification

How to pay

By post

Please make cheques payable to Lancaster City Council and send your completed application and relevant plans to:

PO Box 4, Town Hall, Dalton Square, Lancaster, LA1 1QR

By phone

You can pay by calling 01524 582370. You will need your building control application number or application site address and your debit or credit card.

Please note that your application will not be processed until payment is received.


Last updated: 05 July 2019